Across the Plaza is the two-story John Vale/Noah Cox House, built in 1853 by Swedish immigrant John Vale. Originally it had a flat roof, with the hipped roof in the 1880's. Noah Cox purchased the property in 1856 and operated a mercantile establishment on the first floor, while living upstairs. The front elevation has finely carved sandstone with classical details on the cornice. Portions of the stone walls that enclosed the property may still be seen.